UrbanRhetoric

UrbanRhetoric

9.30.2010

On The Eve [Shop Free September Update]....by pemora


On the eve of the finale of my Shop Free September initiative, I feel very very excited.  Before I tell you all the things that I really want to buy (yes, I know that defeats the purpose), I wanted to take a moment to be a little reflective.  Because, well, wasn't that the point of all of this?

1. It is very hard to keep my promise.  I totally cheated.  Twice.  The 1st time was on FNO, when I stood on a very long line, for a very long time, with very high wedges on a cobblestone road all to see Rachel Zoe.  ADJ from Green Eggs and Glam was with me and when we decided to hop off of the line (because some skanky model-looking chicks cut about 2/3 of the folks in the line and I was quite hungry and it was obvious that Ms. Zoe was not going to see us) I realized that I could no longer feel my toes.  At all.  And suddenly my awesome red rose jacket was being molested by fabulous gay boys and I had to take very deep breaths to even take 1 step.  I am not even sure how we ended up in the JCrew, but once I saw some flat shoes, I was sold.  So, yes, I bought them.  I'm sorry.

The 2nd time was when I ordered a crapload of clothes for my son from the Gap and saw that there was a cute sparkly bracelet in my shopping cart and did nothing to remove it.  I just pressed 'order' and called it a night.  I have no excuse for that one.

2. I shop because I am bored/jealous/anxious/happy.  Give me an emotion and I'll give you a reason to shop.

3. I miss receiving packages in the mail.  Actually, I used to miss it.  I don't really miss it anymore.

4. I buy a lot of crappy, trendy, poorly-made items.  When I started "shopping from my closet", I realized that the pieces I love the most are all of my thrifted items and my more "luxury" pieces (JCrew, people. So not luxury, but luxury to me).  I need to not buy little things on a daily basis and save my pennies for nicer items.

5. I am a pretty boring person when I am not shopping.  As I realized during my sister's twitter campaign, I have very little to say when I am not buying things.  When did this become an integral part of my persona?  Why did I let shopping define me?  I used to read books and take walks....ok, I never took walks, but I used to read.  A lot.  I have totally let shopping take up huge chunks of time, that I should rededicate to the things I love.

That being said, I want to buy the following things.  Don't hate me, I am a work in progress.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment for UrbanRhetoric. We really appreciate the feedback, questions, ideas + love. Holler